- 1 Step By Step Guide to Fix Mozilla Firefox not Responding Problem
- 1.1 What are the Main Reasons Behind Mozilla Firefox Not Responding?
- 1.2 How to Fix Mozilla Firefox Not Responding Issues:
- 1.3 How to Fix Firefox Not Responding in Windows
Step By Step Guide to Fix Mozilla Firefox not Responding Problem
Web Browsers are an essential part of work and study nowadays. We need a web browser to do most research work, as we can find almost anything on the internet. It knows something that we don’t.
What if your Mozilla Firefox web browser stops working suddenly at midnight and you have to submit a presentation early in the morning? The page has gone white, the curser has turned to a wheel and there is “not responding” message on the top bar!! Don’t panic! In this article, we will guide you to tackle the issue.
What are the Main Reasons Behind Mozilla Firefox Not Responding?
There could be various reasons behind your Firefox not responding. Some of them are listed here-
- High usage of RAM (Random Accessible Memory) or CPU resource by Firefox:
- Web browsers use CPU resources of your computer while displaying pages, downloading or playing videos. When a large amount of memory is used simultaneously, the performance of the computer is compromised, and the browser becomes unresponsive.
- Corrupt places system: “Places” is a history, keyword, and bookmark management system of the Firefox browser. If your Firefox is not responding at random times, then there is a possibility that your places system is having some issues.
- Too large download history: Your browser’s download history has a limited storage space assigned to it. If this limit is reached, then Mozilla becomes unresponsive while trying to download a video or an image.
- Abnormal shut down of Firefox: Sometimes, Mozilla Firefox Freezing Up just before its closure due to which it remains in the memory of the computer. The next time you try to open the browser, it can’t work properly due to the already existing memory.
- Interaction between security systems, such as various anti-virus systems or windows firewalls also hinders the response of Firefox.
How to Fix Mozilla Firefox Not Responding Issues:
Here are the troubleshooting ideas for each of the reasons for Firefox not responding properly:
Resolve High usage of RAM Issue In Mozilla Firefox:
Have you left tons of tabs open for quite some time in your browser? More the number of tabs, more the memory used. It will be good to start with restarting Firefox. But do not forget to save or bookmark the tabs before quitting. If Mozilla firefox not responding on startup then it may be because of high usage of ram by browser follow below steps to rectify.
- Go to “Open Menu” on the upper right corner of the browser.
- Go to help> Troubleshooting information
- Click on “Restart with add-ons disabled”.
This disables the extensions and themes of your Firefox. If the performance of the browser increases significantly, then disable all the extensions and themes.
When you open a web page in your Mozilla Firefox, the page contains a lot of unwanted, Data or activities which uses the CPU resources. This includes unwanted ads or tracking activities from google or Facebook. You can use some extensions like Adblocker, Privacy Badger or uBlock Origin to stop the unwanted usage of the resource. This will significantly lower the RAM usage and help in getting rid of Mozilla Firefox not responding issue.
Close unwanted apps: Trying to close the unwanted apps that are running in the background. To do that-
- Right click on a space on the taskbar of the screen.
- Click on “Task Manager”.
- Choose the app that you don’t want and click on “End task”.
This will free up the space to run the mozilla firefox browser properly.
Remove Corrupt Places System From Mozilla Firefox:
If there is no specific time of unresponsiveness of the firefox browser, or if your mozilla firefox is not responding again and again then you need to change a few files in your computer. Here is how to do it:
- Click on “open menu” on the top right corner.
- Click on help> Troubleshooting Information.
- Go to “open folder” under Application Basics. It will open the Firefox profile.
- Now exit from Firefox.
- In the Firefox profile, search for two files: places.sqlite and places.sqlite-journal. (provided, it exists) Now replace them with places.sqlite.old and places.sqlite-journal.old respectively.
- Restart Firefox.
Mozilla Firefox Not Responding Because of Too large Download History:
When Mozilla Firefox stops responding while downloading, then it is time to clear your download history. Here is how to deal with it-
- Click on the “open menu” option on the right top corner of the browser.
- Go to Library> Downloads.
- Click on “show all downloads”. This will pop up the Library window.
- Click on “clear downloads” to clear up space.
Fix Abnormal Shutdown of Mozilla Firefox Issue:
Firefox Not Responding When Opening:- When you find a problem in opening Firefox and it shows that Firefox is already open, it is time to erase Firefox from the memory of the computer. At this moment, you need to close all the Firefox processes through task manager.
- Right click on the taskbar of your screen
- Click on “Task Manager”.
- Choose the Firefox files that are running and click on the “End task” option.
- Reopen Firefox.
How to Fix Firefox Not Responding in Windows
When all your web browser including Mozilla is facing the same issue in windows, then follow these steps:
- Go to “search”.
- Type “command prompt”.
- Run command prompt as admin.
- Type “ipconfig /flushdns”. Press “enter”.
- When the command is executed successfully, a message will be displayed as “successfully flushed DNS resolver cache”.
- Now type, “netsh winsock reset”. Press “enter”.
- When the command is executed successfully, a message will be displayed as “Successfully reset the winsock catalog.
You must restart your computer to complete the reset.
- When both commands are executed successfully, then restart the computer after closing the other open tasks.
This should resolve the Mozilla Firefox Critical Error in Windows issue.
Graphics Card: Most of the time, Firefox does not respond if the graphics card driver is not updated. To make sure that your drivers are updated, follow the steps given below-
- Click on “search” button.
- Open device manager.
- Go to device adapter under device manager.
- Right click on every adapter and select “update driver software”.
- This will update all graphic card adapter and will help in getting rid of the Firefox not responding in Windows issue.