Why HP Printer Is Not Printing Anything and how to Fix this error
HP or Hewlett-Packard is an Information technology company based in the United States of America. They manufacture different types of hardware and software systems, among which, the HP printers is truly a household name nowadays. The vast range of choices in HP printers includes the Deskjet, Ink tank, Laserjet, Officejet and some other modules for both home and office usages with wired and wireless options. The HP printers are known for their reliability and quality of work. But as it goes with any other device, they also face some problems from time to time. One of the most common issues is when the printer stops printing anything on the papers. Yes, you can always seek the help from the experts of HP support system, but you can do tons of things to resolve the hp printer not printing anything on paper issue on your own. On this article, we will provide the remedies to the potential causes of the problem. Keep in mind that the same techniques will also be helpful in the situations where an HP printer not printing a particular type (either black or coloured print) or prints only a black paper.
Potential Causes of HP Printer Not Printing Anything on Paper Issue
- The hp printer not printing anything problem is more often than not, is related to the cartridge of the hp printer. The first suspect for the present question is an empty or low-level cartridge. You can always keep the ink level on check through the printer panel. We will discuss those steps later in the article.
- Another potential cause is the dirty print-head of the device, which will effectively hinder in printing any information on the page. The print-head cleaning process is semi-automatic as the user has to press a few options, and the system takes care of the rest.
- A problematic cartridge (not including ink level) will also prevent the HP printer from printing anything on the page.
How to Solve the HP Printer Not Printing Anything on Paper Issue
We will go step by step on how to detect and resolve the potential causes that we have mentioned above. Throughout the discussion, we will be able to print on paper.
Low/ empty cartridge
To check the ink level of your cartridge, follow these steps-
- Load some papers on the tray.
- On the control panel of the printer, click on the (-) icon on the left-hand side.
- A list of set up menu will pop up. Now, press the ( >) icon on the right side of the panel to go to the “tools” option. Press the “ok” button to bring up the tools list.
- On the top of the list, there will be “display estimated ink level” option. Press “ok.”
- The panel will display the estimated levels of ink on both the cartridges.
- If one of your cartridge’s ink levels is below the warning level, then you should replace that with a new one. That should solve your problem.
If both the cartridges are having enough ink, then proceed to the next step.
Clean the print-head
This is a semi-automated process where you will have to press a few buttons on the control panel, and the print-head of your hp printer will be cleaned.
- Turn on your device.
- Press the ( – ) icon on the left side of the control panel, just next to the “settings” option.
- From the “set up menu” that has just appeared, you need to choose the “tools” option. To do so, press the ( > ) sign on the right side of the panel and then press “ok.”
- The “tools” menu will appear on the screen now. Keep pressing the ( > ) button until the selection goes to the “clean print-head” option.
- Press the “Ok” button to start the print-head cleaning process. During the cleaning, the printer will keep making sounds and eventually, it will print a test page.
- Check the quality of the print on the test page. If again hp printer is not printing anything properly, then repeat the process from the very first step. You may need to clean the print-head multiple times to get the optimum print quality.
The print-head has more probability of getting dirty when you turn off the printer through modes other than the “power off” button. Avoid doing that to keep the print-head clean and avoid the HP printer not printing problem.
Replace the problematic cartridge
Which type of printing is giving you the problem? If your hp printer cartridge has enough ink and still not printing anything, then it is time to replace it with a new one. Here is how you can replace the cartridge properly and align the hp printer to start printing again properly.
- Turn on the HP printer.
- Now open the front door of the printer to access the cartridges.
- The carriage of the cartridges will move to the centre.
- Depending on the type of cartridge (coloured or black), press the proper cartridge with your fingers to loosen it. The “coloured” cartridge is on the left, and the “black” cartridge is on the right slot of the carriage.
- Take out the new cartridge of its pack and pull the protective tap from it. Do not touch either of the copper-coloured dots or the nozzle as it might damage the connections.
- Now, put the cartridge in its right slot. Make sure that it sits correctly unless gone for carriage jam error issues fix.
- After the replacement, you will need to align the printer to start printing and free drom hp printer not printing anything on paper issue permanently.
Follow these steps to align your HP printer-
- After you close the cartridge door in the replacement process, focus on the control panel of the device. It will display a message that your cartridge has been replaced. Press the “ok” button.
- Next, the panel will display a message to load some papers on your tray. Do it and press “ok.”
- Now it will ask you to align the printer. Press “ok” and it will print an alignment paper. After that, the screen will display that the task has been performed and ask you to place the same paper on the scanner facing down.
- Match the face down printed side with the right top corner of the printer and close the scanner lid.
- Press the “ok” button on the right side of the control panel. The printer will align the cartridges and display a successful message when it is done.
- The printer is ready to print now and after that hopefully your hp printer not printing anything issue have been resolved.
HP has an excellent support system to assist their users in any problem-related to the printers. If the HP printer not printing anything on paper issue persists even after going through all the steps mentioned above, then seek the help of the experts. You can call on their toll-free number or head over to the HP forum to talk to the experts or co-users.
It is wise to use only genuine HP cartridges for your HP printer. A non-genuine or a filled cartridge can do significant harm to the system, and HP does not guarantee any solution in such conditions. Hence, to be on the safe side, consider using only compatible HP parts for your device.