Yahoo mail is one of the most popular email services in the world. Customers have availed their services for both personal and professional usage over the years. Just like any other email accounts, the Yahoo mail accounts also need their users to change their passwords from time to time. The reason may be personal, such as forgetting the password or a wholesome one, such as a recent security threat. The Better Business Bureau suggests that the password of the email accounts should be changed every month. We are listing the potential causes which demand the users to change Yahoo mail password
from time to time.
Why do you need to change your Yahoo mail password?
- Disclosure of a security threat: The hackers are always praying on the internet to hit on the weak spots of the web pages and applications. The security of the email services gets upgraded regularly. But that can’t stop the hackers every time. The lingering threats of spyware and malware are also ever-present. In such scenarios of potential risks, the users may need to change the yahoo email password of their account as it will block the access to their personal information.
- Unauthorized access: The email services give a notification to the email account holder every time his account is accessed through a new device. If the user gets such a warning and he does not grant the access, then the password change of yahoo email account will help in mitigating the unauthorized access.
- The users share their login credentials to some other people to carry out tasks through email accounts. After the job is done, it is not safe to keep the same password as the person may access the account once again by using those credentials. In this case, also, the Yahoo mail user will need to change the Yahoo email password.
- Public use: If the email account was opened in a public computer, such as those of libraries and hotels, then also the change of password is advisable to the users. These computers are used by tons of people, which is a potential threat to your personal information.
- Lose of the device: If the device in which the email account was logged in is lost, then also you will need to change the password. If some other people find your device, then they will be able to see your emails. So, logging out from all the devices is recommended before changing the password.
- Keystroke logger: Keystroke logger is a surveillance software that monitors the keystrokes of the targeted device to steal essential passwords. This threat is mainly targeted on the official accounts than the personal ones. Hence, it is a good idea to keep changing the yahoo email passwords so that even the presence of a Keystroke logger can’t determine any pattern.
Inquisitive about some Technical Background of your Yahoo Email Settings? Read on .
To make the functioning on the mail much more easier and accessible for its users , Yahoo mail supports both the existing email protocols i.e IMAP ( Internet message access protocol) and POP (Post office protocol) forms. POP was created in 1984 and IMAP IN 1986. Both protocols have different users and advantages over the other depending upon the user’s need. However if you are on a lookout for a modern version of protocol between the two and are concerned about the backup of your emails on the server then IMAP is the choice for you.However in order to enable the access of your mail through IMAP you need to follow a simple procedure. To allow your mail to be accessed through IMAP you need to fill the below details correctly in your setup
- Incoming server : imap.mail.yahoo.com
- Outgoing server:stmp.mail.yahoo.com
- Username :user’s yahoo mail address
- Password: user’s yahoo mail password
IMAP enables the user to access the mails stored on a remote server , through it multiple users can manage and work on the same file. All the changes a user makes in the file is visible when accessed through any server , be it you office or home , but the requisite is a stable and secured internet connection. Just as a single coin has two of its sides similarly , technological advancement has brought the share of its benefits along the negative effects for its user. Benefits upto certain extent were discussed in the earlier part of the article while negative effects include cyber criminal activities . Cyber crimes initiates when a hacker gets into the private space of your account without your knowledge and does harm using your personal information to your disadvantage.It is therefore much advisable to change your password once in a while to keep it out of the reach of any cyber crimes. In the section below we will deal with the procedure to change the yahoo mail password through your desktop as well as mobile phones.Read on !
How to change the Yahoo Email password?
Now that you know the instances when you might need to change the yahoo email password
of the Yahoo account, here is the step by step guide to do so.
- Open the Yahoo mail login page in your browser. Type in the credentials, i.e., the email address and the password to log in to your account.
- At the top right corner of your window, you will see your name with your profile photo (if you have previously added a profile photo). Click on your name. It will bring up a list.
- From the list that we have mentioned in the last point, click on the “account info.” In the basic version of the mail, you will need to select the menu list beside your name. Then choose the “account info,” followed by “go.”
- A new window will open up after the previous step. Choose “account security” on the left sidebar of the page.
- Look at the right side of the screen in the “how you sign in” section. You will see the “Yahoo change password” button. Click on it.
- In the next window, you will be prompted to enter your new password. Type a new password that can’t be easily guessed. Use upper, lower case letters, numbers, and special characters to strengthen the password.
- In the “confirm new password” section, re-enter your new password. Make sure that both the password perfectly matches each other. If you are not sure, then check the box in front of the “show password” text. It will show the passwords. Once you are done, click on the “continue” option.
- You will be asked to add a recovery email and a phone number to recover the email in case you are locked out of it. If you do not want to provide the details, then choose the “I will secure my account later” option.
- From the options among the “account security” page, choose “mail.” It will take you to your emails of the account. At this point, the Yahoo mail password change task is completed.
Conclusion: So there are many reasons to change your yahoo email password due to suspicious activity or forgot your password above these steps is very easy to learn how to change your yahoo email password either for quick help you can Dial 1-877-200-8067.
Change Yahoo Email Password Through Mobile ( Android/iPhone)
The procedure to change password would remain the same for both Android phones and Iphone if you do it through the Yahoo application , like mentioned below .
- Open your Yahoo mail using Yahoo application and thereafter fill in your login details and open it.
- On the left corner of your mail page click “Manage Accounts”.
- Under your username click on “Account info.”.
- Then between the two given options under the Account settings click on “Security Settings”.
- For security reasons ,on the next page you would be asked to either enter your current password or draw security pattern . Enter the password and tap on Change Password.
- On this page you will come across two choices as Get rid of your password or Use your phone to sign in and get rid of password.Choose I would rather change my password.
- Enter a new password in the two boxes you would be asked to and tap Continue.
How to set up two-step verification of Yahoo mail while using desktop/laptop/Mac
A two-step verification process requires the users to provide two sets of security authentication to access the contents of a page of the application. For example, if you add yahoo two-step verification
in your bank application, then only the username and the password won’t give you the access. In addition to that, you may need to answer a question or identify a photo to have access to. If you want to add extra security, here is how to set up Yahoo two-step verification
- Log into your Yahoo mail account and click on your name in the top right corner.
- Now, click on “account info” from the list.
- Choose “account security” from the left sidebar of the window.
- You will find the “two-step verification” section on the bottom of your screen. Turn on the switch that is next to the part. If your Yahoo account key is enabled, then you need to disable it.
- Next, you will need to provide a phone number to receive an authentication code. You can choose to accept it either by SMS or through a call. Make sure that you give a number that is available to you.
- Once you choose the mode to receive the code, a popup window will ask you to enter the code. Enter the code when you receive it and press “verify.”
- After verification, a success window will appear. It will give you the option to “create app passwords” for those devices that do not support the two-step verification process. You can skip this step.
- Your two-step verification set up is done for the Yahoo account.
So if you want to keep away to change your yahoo mail password use these yahoo two-step verification process to keep safe your yahoo email account.