Why Does Google chrome won’t open on Windows 10 Get Quick Solution
Google has become the lifeline of internet browsing in the 21st century. More than 90% of the browsing on the internet is done through Google only. That’s the exact reason why Google emphasizes so much on rich user experience. But there is always some room for improvement. The users have to face some technical glitch or another while using Google products from time to time. Most of them are common, fronted by a significant number of users. Such problems include Google Chrome not responding Windows 10, Google Chrome not opening after the double click, Google chrome shortcut won’t open, and so on. We are addressing these problems in this article and giving away solutions one by one. It is highly likely that you will face one of these problems sooner or later. So, stick around and give it a go!
Problems related to Google Chrome and its solutions
Google Chrome not responding Windows 10
This section will address the issue of Google Chrome not responding to Windows 10 Operating System even after double-clicking on its icon.
Restart your computer
It is the most basic way to fix Google Chrome or any other glitch, to be honest. The restarting of a system sets its settings to the default mode. This eliminates the incorrect settings that might have been introduced to the system. Another way to fix the issue is by ending the task of Google Chrome and then re-launching it.
- Right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of your screen
- On the menu, click on the “Task Manager.”
- In the popup window, find the Google Chrome task under the “Processes” tab.
- Right-click on the Chrome task and choose “end task.”
- Now, re-launch your browser.
Remove suspicious software
The presence of malicious programs in your system may interfere with the connection of Google Chrome. To avoid such threats, first, scan your computer thoroughly. Use a good antivirus, preferably a premium one such as Malwarebytes to do the scanning. If the scanning detects any suspicious files, then remove it. After the scanning, follow these steps to remove any unwanted software from your computer manually-
- Search for “Control panel” in the Windows search area.
- Once the window opens up, choose the “Programs” category, followed by “Programs and features.”
- Now, go over the list of software that is installed in your device. If you find anything suspicious, right-click on it and hit the “uninstall” button.
- To automatically clean up, use the “Chrome Clean Up” tool.
Add exclusion from Firewall/ Antivirus system
Sometimes, excluding Google Chrome from the security firewall will solve the issue.
- Search for “settings” in the Windows search area.
- Click on the “Update & security,” followed by “Windows defender” and “open windows defender security center.”
- On the left sidebar, choose “Virus & threat protection” and “virus & threat protection settings” on the main body of the window.
- Under “exclusions,” go for the “add or remove exclusions.”
- Click on the (+) sign, followed by “files” and “Google Chrome.”
- Now, search for the “control” panel again. In the resulting window, under “view by” on the top right corner, select “small icons.” Choose “Windows Firewall” from the icons.
- In the new window, tick the boxes next to Google Chrome to allow it through the firewall.
Change entry key permission
- Create a new shortcut of Google Chrome on your desktop.
- Right-click on the shortcut and open “properties.”
- In the new window, choose “advanced” under the “security” tab.
- Tap on the “change” button.
- Under “enter the object name to select,” write your username and click on the “check names” and then “ok.”
- Hit the “ok” button to save all the changes.
Chrome running in the background, but won’t open
Here are a few techniques when you face the issue of Chrome running in background, but won’t open–
Kill the task
We have discussed it in the previous section. But the same may be useful in this section too.
- Hit the ctrl, alt, and delete button together to open the task manager. You can alternatively do so from the bottom taskbar.
- In the popup window, choose the “Processes” tab.
- Now, look for “chrome.exe” or “Google chrome” and right-click on it.
- Hit the “end task” option.
- Open Chrome again.
Lower the security:
We have discussed this issue in the previous section under the name “exclusion from firewall/ antivirus system.” Follow those steps.
Delete chrome profile:
- Press the Windows and the “R” button simultaneously to open the Run dialogue window.
- Type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data.
- From the resulting window, copy the “default” folder to another destination before deleting it.
- Open Chrome and go to settings followed by “advanced” and “reset.” Finally, confirm it.
Chrome cleanup tool
There may be some pop-ups, ads, malware, startup pages that are blocking the Chrome from launching. They crash the web page by overloaded memory requests. To eliminate the possibility, run the built-in Malware scanner & Cleanup tool of Chrome.
You can run the Chrome browser to check if any of the extensions is blocking it from launching. If Chrome opens in the safe mode, then go over the extensions and disable them one by one to check the culprit.
If the Chrome running in background, but won’t open problem is persistent, then consider reinstalling the browser. It will set everything to default and may work out for you.
Chrome not working after windows 10 update 2019
The latest updates of Windows OS may create some problems in using Google chrome. Here’s what you will need to do in that situation.
Fix in the safe mode
We have talked about the Google chrome safe mode in the previous section. It disables all the extensions and add-ons on the browser while opening.
- First, restart your computer.
- Now, opt for “troubleshoot,” followed by “advanced options.”
- Now, go for “startup settings” and then restart.
- Hit the F5 buttons a few times to refresh the system.
- Press the ctrl, shift and delete button together to clear the caches and the history files of the browser. You will also need to put an end to the hardware acceleration of the browser.
- Once you are done with the above steps, launch the chrome browser in its usual mode.
Properties of browser
To apply this technique and solve the Chrome not working after Windows 10 update 2019, you will need to run the software as administrator. Follow these steps-
- Right-click on the shortcut of Chrome and choose “properties” from the list.
- Go to the “compatibility” tab of the popup window and select the option “change settings for all users.”
- Now, uncheck the option that says, “run this program in the compatible mode.” You will find the same under the compatibility mode section.
- Next, select the option that says,”run this program as an administrator.”
- Hit “apply” and”ok” to save the changes.
Update your network drivers:
Another reason behind Chrome not working after windows 10 update 2019 can be the missing or outdated network drivers in your system. You can download some free driver download programs from the internet. It will help you to get the necessary drivers for your operating system without any hustle. Double Driver, Snappy Driver Installer is some of the options on this list.
Google Chrome won’t open new tab page
If your Google chrome won’t open a new tab page, then the best shot is to reset your browser. It involves only a few simple steps. This is how-
- Open the browser on your computer.
- On the top right corner of the window, click on the three dots that represent the customization options of Google chrome.
- Now, select the “settings” options. It will bring up a new page.
- Go to the bottom of the page and expand the “advanced” options.
- Under the “reset and cleanup” category, choose “reset settings.” Once again, click on the “Reset settings” option.
The resetting of the Chrome resets the extensions, themes, cookies, history data, pinned tabs, homepage, and some other things. This will resolve the Google chrome won’t open a new tab page problem on your computer.
Google Drive won’t open in Chrome
If your Google drive won’t open in chrome browser, then follow these steps-
Clear the caches:
- Open the browser and click on the three dots on the top right corner.
- Choose “More tools” and then “clear browsing data.” A new page will open up.
- In the new page, set the time range to “all time.”
- Make sure that all the three boxes in the window are selected. Click on the “clear data” button to make the changes.
Update your browser
Updating a piece of software is very important to keep using it smoothly. If you have not updated your chrome browser for some time now, then it is a good time to do so. You can install the updates just by searching for it on the internet.
Disable the extensions
You can disable your extensions one by one and check if anyone of them is causing the Google drive won’t open in chrome issue.
Reset your browser settings
We have given you the steps to reset the browser in the previous section. Go over the same.
Google Chrome won’t open in full screen
To resolve the Google chrome won’t open in full-screen mode, follow these steps-
Enable flash player:
- On your Chrome browser, click on the three vertical dots. Select the “settings” option from it.
- In the new page, go to the bottom and extend the “advanced” options.
- Under “privacy and security,” go for the “content settings.”
- Find out the option for a flash player.
- Turn on the “Ask first (recommended)” option.
- Refresh your system and restart the browser.
Disable hardware acceleration:
- On your browser, click on the three vertical dots. Select the “settings” option.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click on the “advanced” options.
- On the left sidebar of the page, select the “system” option.
- In the second option from the top, “use hardware acceleration when available,” turn off the option.
- Restart the browser to make sure that the Google chrome won’t open in full-screen mode issue is gone.
Display scaling configuration:
- On the desktop icon of your chrome browser, right-click.
- Choose the “properties” option from the menu.
- On the popup window, go to the”compatibility” tab that is present in the last.
- In the previously mentioned tab, you will need to disable display scaling in case of high DPI settings.
- Click on the “apply” and “ok” button to apply the changes to your system.
Reset Chrome settings
We have mentioned this couple of times already. The steps for the same are mentioned under Chrome, not opening new tab pages. Refer to that section to carry out the task.
Reinstall your browser
As we have already said, reinstalling your browser will set the configuration to its default mode. So it might work out for you in this situation if your browser used to open in full screen before.
Unable to open hyperlinks in Google chrome in PC: If you are someone who is being unable to open hyperlinks in Google chrome in PC, then the chances are you have not updated your browser.
- Open your browser and click on the three vertical dots in it.
- Go to the “help” option, followed by “about Google chrome.”
- It will open up a page that will show the status of your browser.
- Click on the “re-launch” button to the right, and it will take care of the necessary steps.
The above steps will help you when you are unable to open hyperlinks in Google chrome in PC.
If you have gone through all the problems we have listed here; then you might have noticed that some techniques are useful in many situations. Whether it is Google chrome shortcut won’t open, not opening after the double click & won’t open after system restore or something else, steps like reinstalling Chrome or resetting it will help you to get rid of them.