Epson printers are known for their speed, durability, avant-garde technology, and affordability. They come in different types and models, ranging from compact to all-in-one. However, Epson printer users often face issues such as Epson printer not printing
. This error can occur due to a number of reasons. If you face issues such as Epson printer not printing anything, then do not worry. Read on and learn how to fix this issue.
Why My Epson Printer is Not Printing?
Printers can be exceptionally moody at times. While they usually work very well, at times they stop printing. Here is why your Epson printer may not be printing properly or at all.
- Printer is not connected properly– Maybe your wireless printer is not properly connected to the computer. If you have a wired printer, then you need to check the cables.
- Empty Print Cartridge– When your ink cartridge is empty or dried up, then you may face the Epson printer not printing anything issue.
- Low Ink– Is your Epson printer not printing black or any other color/s? Your cartridge is most probably low on ink.
- Software Glitches– Often due to minor bugs or software errors, you may face printer related issues.
- Improper Pinter Installation– Is your Epson printer installed correctly? If not, then you may face printing related issues.
- Blocked Print Head- If you do not use the printer frequently, then you may have to clean the print head.
- Wrong Alignment– When your printer is misaligned, you may be unable to print. If your Epson printer has an alignment problem, then the printer will not print correctly
Common Fixes for Epson Printer Not Printing Issue
Apply these basic solutions to fix the Epson printer is not printing error. Turn off and Reboot your Epson Printer
Some times, power cycling the device works wonders. In case your Epson printer is not printing due to minor glitches and issues, then a simple reboot may fix this issue. Hence, you need to first power off your Epson printer and unplug it. After waiting for a minute or two, reattach it to your computer and power it back on. Turn on the printer and run a test print to see if my Epson printer is not printing
issue has been resolved or not. Verify the Connection
Sometimes, the printer may be unable to generate prints if the wires or cables are loose or damaged. Therefore you need to check if the printer is properly connected to your computer. Make sure that the USB cable is properly and firmly attached on both sides. If the cable is damaged, then get another one. Check your Wireless Network Connection
Do you have a wireless (Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled) Epson printer? Well, in that case, you need to check if the following things are in place or not.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Epson Printer
- Firstly, you need to make sure that the Wifi or Bluetooth feature of your Epson printer is turned on. After that, check the availability of the feature. Certain Epson printers have a dedicated button that displays the wireless icon. Check that button to see if the feature is available or not.
- Users may also attempt a wireless connection test for their Epson printer. For this, they need to access the printer’s menu and then they can test the device’s wireless connection status.
- Do you have a Bluetooth-enabled Epson printer? If yes, then try switching the Bluetooth off and then switch it back on. Try connecting your printer to your computer once again.
When my Epson printer is not printing
, I try to remove and reinstall it. Sometimes, it resolves the issue. Here is how you can uninstall and reinstall your printer. Uninstall the Printer
Reinstall the printer
- Press the Win key.
- Click on Settings(gear icon).
- Scroll and find Devices. Click on it.
- Find and select the Printers and scanners option.
- Click on the settings for Printers and scanners.
- Find your Epson printer and click it.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the Remove device option.
Find the directions to reinstall and readd your wireless or wired Epson printer. Wireless printer
Reinstall a wired Epson printer
- Open the Start menu on your Windows computer or access your Mac’s Dock.
- Open the Settings page,
- Click on Devices from a range of options.
- Select Printers and scanners.
- After that,click on the Add a printer or scanner option.
- Now the device will start locating nearby devices.
- Click on your Epson printer.
- Click on the Add device button.
Do you have a wired Epson printer? Make sure you have the compatible USB cord to connect it with your computer.
Clear the Print Spooler
- Attach one end of the USB cable to the USB port of your computer.
- Connect the other end to your printer.
- Open Settings on your computer.
- Click on the Device option.
- Move to the Printers and Scanners option.
- Locate your printer from the list of devices.
- Hit the Add a printer button.
- Now, the computer will start locating nearby or connected devices.
- Once detected, click on your Epson Printer.
- After that, click on Add Device.
You may face the Epson printer not printing
issue when the print job gets stuck. To resolve this, you should try clearing and restarting the print spooler. Follow the directions mentioned below to clear and reset the print spooler.
Clean the Epson PrintHead
- Access the toolbar of your computer.
- In the search bar, you need to type Services and hit Enter.
- Click on Services.
- Go to the Standards section.
- Click twice on the Printer Spooler option.
- Now, you need to hit the Stop button.
- When the confirmation prompt appears, click OK.
- Go back to search and enter %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers.
- Click on the top search result.
- Now, a folder will open.
- You need to empty the folder by deleting all files.
- Return to the search bar again.
- Enter Service and click on the first option.
- Click on Standards at the top.
- Double-click on Print Spooler.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click on Startup type.
- Select the Automatic option.
- When prompted, click on OK.
Is your Epson printer not printing black or the printed documents are coming faint or poor, then you might be able to solve this issue by cleaning the print head. At times, the nozzles fail to deliver the ink properly. In this case, the cleaning of the print head becomes necessary. Epson printer users can clean the print head using the Head Cleaning tool that comes as a part of the printer software. Via the Head Cleaning utility Steps for Windows
Here are the steps that need to be followed by Windows computer users.
Directions for Mac users
- First, ensure that your Epson printer is powered on.
- Make sure that the ink out light is turned off.
- In case the ink out light is turned on, then you can’t clean the Epson printer’s print head. You will first have to replace the ink toner cartridge.
- Now, you need to open your printer software.
- Click on the Utility option.
- Click on the Head Cleaning button.
- Follow the directions given on the screen.
- Wait for the power light to stop flashing.
- Click on the Print Nozzle Check Pattern option.
If you have a Mac device, then here is what you need to do to clean the print head.
- First and foremost, turn on your Epson printer.
- Check that the ink out light is turned off.
- Go to the Page Setup screen.
- Click on the Utility option.
- Now, you need to press the Head Cleaning button.
- Just follow the directions given on the screen.
- Once the power light stops flashing, just click on the Confirmation button.
How to Fix Epson Printer Not Printing Black?
Epson printer not printing black? Do not worry. We have listed possible solutions to fix this issue in no time. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
If you are a Windows user, then you can use the inbuilt Printer troubleshooter to fix issues such as Epson printer not printing black
. Follow the steps to learn how to run the printer troubleshooter to fix basic issues.
Align the Print Head
- Click on the Cortana search or the regular search bar.
- After that, type Troubleshoot and hit enter.
- Click on the first option.
- Now, the Settings window will open on the screen.
- Click on the Printer option.
- After that, click on Run the troubleshooter.
- A new window will open on the screen.
- Click on your Epson printer model displayed on the screen.
- Click on the Next button to proceed with the process.
- After that, press Windows and R keys at the same time.
- Type Control Panel in the text box and hit enter.
- Click on the OK button.
- Click on the Troubleshooting option.
- Click on the View all button at the left pane.
- Right-click on the Printer option.
- From the context menu, select Run as administrator.
At times, due to the misalignment of the print head, the Epson printer is unable to print black. You can align the print head automatically. Steps for Windows Users
Steps for Mac Users
- Load an A4 or Letter size regular paper in the tray.
- Open the Epson Printer software.
- Click on the Maintenance tab.
- After that, hit the Print Head Alignment button.
- Follow the directions given on the screen and align the print head.
Mac users can use the Print Head Alignment utility tool. Here are the steps to do the same.
- Ensure that you have loaded an A4 or letter size paper in the print feeder.
- After that, you need to open the Epson Printer Utility window.
- Choose your Epson printer from the list of options.
- Click on the OK button when the prompt comes.
- Hit the Print Head Alignment option when the prompt appears.
Follow the guidelines shown on the screen for aligning the print head Change the Print Cartridge
Try removing and reinstalling the ink cartridge to resolve the Epson printer not printing anything issue. After removing the old ink cartridge, immediately install the new one. Here are the steps for removing and installing the print cartridge.
- Power on your Epson printer.
- Raise the scanner unit of the printer,
- Now, hit the Stop button.
- Press the cartridge tab and gently lift it upwards for removing it.
- Now, before you unpack the new ink cartridge, shake it a couple of times.
- Take the ink cartridge out of the packaging.
- Take out the yellow-colored tap that is stuck at the side of the print cartridge.
- Place the print cartridge in its holder and gently push it downwards.
- Wait until you hear a click.
- Now, place the scanner unit back to its original position.
- Click on the stop button.
Wait for a few minutes and then check if your printer is working properly or not
How to fix Epson printer not printing after changing ink
Some users face the issues regarding Epson printer not printing after changing ink
. Even when you replace the printer’s empty cartridge, the printer may not print properly. This usually occurs when the device does not recognize the new cartridge. Here are some possible solutions to the problem. Try removing the protective tape
Epson print cartridges come with a tiny strip of tape that covers the print nozzle. This tape prevents ink from getting leaked by blocking the nozzle. You may have forgotten to remove the tape. Take out the cartridge and then check if the tape is still there or not. Carefully remove the tape, however, you should not remove any other stuff from the cartridge. Resetting Ink Cartridge Counter
Is your Epson printer not printing after changing ink? Well, perhaps your printer does not recognize the cartridge. Epson printers come with a cartridge reset option. Enable this to force your printer to recognize the new print cartridge. Long press the Cleaning button. Or else, long-press the Load or Eject button. After that, lift up the clamp that secures the ink cartridge. Place the clamp down and long-press the Load or Eject button. Additional Tips for fix Epson printer not printing after changing ink
Wondering why my Epson printer is not printing? Try these additional tips to resolve the issue.
Wrapping it up
- Check that the print cartridge is inserted correctly or not.
- Make sure that the lever of the print cartridge is in its original position.
- Clean the print head.
- Check for and troubleshoot software errors.
- Make sure that the print cartridge is compatible with your printer.
- Check the indicator lights
Epson printers are one of the most popular printers across the globe. Often due to software errors or improper usage, users face issues such as Epson printer not printing. However, these errors can be easily fixed. To prevent such errors from cropping up, make sure that you conduct proper printer maintenance from time to time. Do not keep the printer idle for long durations, and keep taking prints every now and then to ensure that the nozzle doesn’t get dried up. Also, use compatible and original ink cartridges to get the best performance.